So we are in the midst of an abundance of rainfall in the greater Toronto area. And what usually happens when we get a month of rain in 24 hours? You guessed it, flooding. Wet stinky basements are often around the corner. If you should happen to fall victim to this tragedy, there are a few do’s and do nots you need to know.
- Notify your insurance company
- Try to secure the space and try to prevent further damage to your belongings
- begin to make a list of damaged goods
- Begin repairs until your insurance company has seen the damage and given the go ahead
- Throw things away. To make a proper claim, your insurance adjuster will need to see the damaged good.
- Assume you must use the insurance companies contractor. You have the choice of contractor and can call someone you trust (like us, just saying).